Saturday, June 23, 2007

Right after the 2006 mid-term elections I breathed a sigh of relief. In a clear-cut demonstration of naiveté, I presumed we'd have six months or so until the battle for the Run to 1600 -- the 2008 presidential race -- would begin.

Clearly, and obviously, I was completely wrong.

The Democrats are duking it out amongst themselves. While Obama seems a good man, I'm still not sure where he stands on most issues. Hillary? I'd really, really like to see a woman president, but truthfully I think the Clinton name carries too much baggage -- at least in these very conservative-sounding times. I like John Edwards. Liked him since the 2004 elections. He's got some good ideas. Will he take my vote? It's way too early to tell.

The Republicans are busy doing what they do best, bashing the Democrats. Maybe the eventual Republican candidate will be the one who slammed the Demos most effectively.

And once again, the same issues are trotted out. Abortion rights. illegal aliens. Taxes. Oh... and by the way, the Democrats want us to surrender in Iraq. You didn't know that? Ask any Republican.

Are these the important issues? Not from my perspective. This country needs sensible and available health care. Better quality education, available to all young people. Reduction of those things making us one of the largest contributing countries to global warming, including sensible research for alternatives to fossil fuels, and actually using those alternatives.

This morning I read an excellent excerpt from a book by Lee Iaccoca, "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?" Remember him? He saved the Chryler Corporation. Iaccoca got my attention right away as the piece began with: "Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, 'Stay the course.'

Born in the 50s, I lived through the tumultuous 60s and early 70s. Against the Vietnam war, I marched, protested, wrote letters, signed petitions. Important to note: I did not spit on any returning Vietnam vets. On a recent Bill Maher program I was in agreement with Bill Bradley, who said the war in Iraq is a bigger mistake than Vietnam.

For how may years can the American people foot the bill for us to be the world's policemen? How much killing will happen before we see that not every country in the world wants to operate under the guise of democracy? (BTW, the US is a Constitutional Republic. Look it up if you're not familiar with the term.)

Lee Iaccoca says it's time to throw the bums currently leading this country out. I agree. Unplug yourself from the computer for a while... turn off your iPod. Read newspapers. Pay attention to what's going on. For heaven sake, get mad. Do something about where the US is going.

A patriot is NOT someone who drives their Hummer around town flying a couple of tattered American flags. A patriot is NOT someone who blindly parrots the current phrase of the day without question.

A patriot IS someone who supports their country from all detractors and enemies, even the enemies within -- those same people who attack, subtly, your Constitutional rights and spend, recklessly, your hard-earned tax dollars in the name of fighting "evil-doers" while intimating your free speech is treasonous.

Stand up. Speak out. Be prepared to vote. Make your voices heard. This is YOUR country. I don't think I can say it better than Mr. Iaccoca, who closed the excerpt with these words:

"Hey, I'm not trying to be the voice of gloom and doom here. I'm trying to light a fire. I'm speaking out because I have hope. I believe in America. In my lifetime I've had the privilege of living through some of America's greatest moments. I've also experienced some of our worst crises—the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Kennedy assassination, the Vietnam War, the 1970s oil crisis, and the struggles of recent years culminating with 9/11. If I've learned one thing, it's this: You don't get anywhere by standing on the sidelines waiting for somebody else to take action. Whether it's building a better car or building a better future for our children, we all have a role to play. That's the challenge I'm raising in this book. It's a call to action for people who, like me, believe in America. It's not too late, but it's getting pretty close. So let's shake off the horseshit and go to work. Let's tell 'em all we've had enough. "

Say you've had enough.

No comments: