Thursday, July 19, 2007

songs from a Pagan heart

A dear friend and temple sister suggested, last month, that a few of us get together and create a Pagan women's choir. Always the chantress, I eagerly agreed to participate. Five of us have come together, and thus far gathered twice to rehearse; our next meeting is this evening. We're planning our first performance to be at a peace-centric event on World Peace Day in November.

At our first meeting, we chose a lovely piece found on Shawna Carol's Goddess Chant CD, "Blessed Be." The sound of our voices, united at first, but then bringing in lovely harmonies, filled my heart. In my mind, sacred music has always been important, whether it was the Christian hymns of my youth, joining voices in kirtan, chanting while my good friends drum, or hearing voices lifted in familiar Pagan song.

Music can be an escape from the every day mundane, or it can lift us toward the Divine. As the music flows, and the mind wraps around the lyrics, all other thoughts are pushed aside... music brings us fully present - completely focused. Seems to me there should be more music in ritual, and I envision, someday, a complete rite in song.

I love having a song in my heart.

No comments: